No injuries reported in grass fire in Keith County
OGALLALA - No structures were threatened during a grass fire in Keith County Saturday.
The Ogallala, Keystone-Lemoyne and Brule Volunteer Fire Departments responded responded to the fire at 11:25 a.m. and were called back for a rekindled flame at 2:30 p.m. Crews remained on scene until 6 p.m.
The air temperature was at 107 degrees at the time of the blaze. The ground temperature in the black was 128 degrees.
No injuries were reported. An investigation into the fire continues with the Nebraska State Fire Marshal's Office.
The Keith County Sheriff's office and several ranch rigs responded to the scene.
Keystone-Lemoyne Fire Chief Ralph Moul says his department is running low on cases of water. Anyone willing to make a donation can do so by dropping off cases of water at the fire station or send them a message on Facebook and they can pick it up.
Keith and Arthur Counties were in a heat advisory Sunday. Chase and Perkins Counties were placed in an excessive heat warning. Dangerously hot conditions, with heat index values up to 106 degrees, were expected.
Extreme heat and humidity can significantly increase the potential for heat related illnesses, particularly for those working or participating in outdoor activities. The National Weather Service office in North Platte advised to drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors. Young children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles under any circumstances.
Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When possible reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothing when possible.
To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments.
Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency and you're asked to call 911.