Sterling firefighters respond to early morning grease fire
STERLING, Colo. -- The J & L Cafe closed this morning following an early morning grease fire.
Sterling firefighters and police were dispatched to the cafe just before 5 a.m. today. Crews arrived to find smoke and fire showing from the rear of the building. Firefighters made their way into the kitchen and extinguished a fire on the griddle. The fire spread to the vent hood before it could be extinguished.
An additional crew checked the roof. Four fire units and two medical units were dispatched to the scene.
Later in the morning, the McMahon family reported the J & L Cafe would be closed today in response to the fire in the kitchen. The family said they would be evaluating the damage.
The J & L Cafe is a family-owned restaurant that has been in business for several years. It is known for its family atmosphere and menu of home-made comfort food, and breakfast served all day.